Friday, September 10, 2010

Saying is Believing, And Believing is All We Need

I'm sure everyone's been there... After a gluttonous summer, far too many gin and tonics, and what can only be described as a lackluster, pathetic amount of energy (this I blame fully on this New England summer's record-breaking heat and humidity) I decided, about six weeks ago, to become fully engaged in a healthier lifestyle.

Some people start to shape up for bathing suit season; others don't wear bathing suits and shape up when we realize how we've continued to encourage our not-so-bikini-body over the course of the summer. Either way, it's a typical story - you can relate I'm sure.

To make it all happen, the rules included the following: Work out every day, eat lots of veggies, drink copious amounts of water, and - the most recent step - get stone cold sober. (Cheers, chardonnay. Adios, Absolut. This chick's gettin' her sober on, and you can't stop me!)

The concept is simple: Change habits to increase happiness, health, fitness. And, I'm happy to report - so far, so good! I've lost a total of fourteen pounds, I'm sleeping like a baby, and I couldn't be happier.

So, now that I'm off to a fantastic start, continuing to follow through shouldn't be that tough, right?

Well, according to Derek Sivers, I have just made it impossible to completely obtain the goals I have set for myself.

How discouraging!

But, why?

In this TED talk , Sivers explains that the satisfaction we normally feel upon completing the work necessary to reach a goal is mimicked by simply telling someone your goal. This "social reality" tricks the mind into feeling relief such as the kind associated with having completed a hard task, or reaching a difficult-to-attain goal. And, when we feel rewarded and satisfied without having done the work, our motivation to do the actual work diminishes.

Needless to say, just knowing this is slightly detrimental to my progress. Imagining that sharing my happy news is what could ultimately derail my progress is pretty unfortunate. I mean, really, what's a support system for, anyway?


But, you know, I'm going to plug away, anyway. Mostly because, well, I said I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment